Wesley Memorial began at a house in an area just outside of Chattanooga,Tennessee, in 1944. The founding pastor was the Revered Dr. Wheeler Murphy Morrell, who was called out of retirement to serve the new church. The first worship service in the old farm house was held on April 16, 1944, with forty-four persons present. The members were committed to sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ with all around them and the church quickly grew.

On June 1, 1947, under the leadership of the Reverend Earl G. Hunt, Jr., ground was broken for a new sanctuary. The first service was held in February of 1949. A community grew up around Wesley Memorial and the church became the center of activity there. In June of 1964, ground was broken for a new fellowship hall and gymnasium. It was completed in January of the following year, and the sounds of joy rising from this new addition provided a fitting backdrop in the Brainerd Hills community.

Among former Pastors of Wesley Memorial are two who later became United Methodist Bishops and several who were District Superintendents in the Holston Conference of the United Methodist Church. The church remains an important part of Brainerd Hills and continues vital ministry in the community.